BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Would you like to moderate my caucus?

Hello Blog,

So I've had a very busy past few days. I am currently sitting on a couch outside my next class, eating pineapple chicken with rice mmmmm. I had my Rousseau seminar this morning, and I got there early as usual since my train gets in at 9am. So well I was waiting in the classroom going over my short story due today, this other guy comes in and he starts talking to me. He's one of those know-it-all about everything political philosophy students, and he's doing his Masters now. He was actually pretty nice though, but he didn't give me much of a chance to say anything haha. And then during our class break he started talking to two other students and then I actually entered their convo and it was a very intelligent discussion. The know-it-all guy was going on about Canadian politics and Americans and other things, and I guess he didn't hear me when I told him Canadian politics was my focus. Anyway, I pretty much went "model UN" on him and forced my opinion out and he pretty much shut up about that topic after haha. Don't try arguing about the Canadian healthcare system, politics, Quebec and the West vs. the rest, or anything in that area with me, because I will shut you down. I'm currently working on a paper comparing Saskatchewan politics to Alberta politics, and here he was going on as if he knew what he was talking about, as always. Not this time buddy...I may no nothing about Rousseau but I do know Canadian politics. At the end this nice and really smart girl also doing her Masters asked me why I didn't talk more in class, and I explained that I knew nothing about Rousseau and how Canadian politics is my specialty. I'm glad I didn't leave at the break and I stayed to have this pretty awesome convo for the first time in that class.

I finished my short story, it will be distributed at the end of class for my critique next week. I wrote it last night and went over it again this morning. I'm actually pleased with how it turned out, I've been thinking about it since last semester. It's called "Dust Bowl" and it's about a young man living on his grandfather's farm outside of Regina during the Depression (it's 1933). Basically, the banks try to take more of his family's land and he finally snaps. His father (a Christian man) faught in WW1 but left five years ago because he was too broken from killing men during the war. He meets social democrats at a church who started the Saskatchewan Farmer-Labour Party (which later became the CCF, which became the NDP!) and he wants to leave for Ottawa with them to get the attention of those damn Tories! This story is such a Lorelie story, and it helps that I'm writing my Canadian political parties paper on Saskatchewan too haha. The song "Dust Bowl Dance" by Mumford&Sons inspired me so much. Below is a little propaganda poem I wrote for my story:

“They tell me son of great things out West,
Of the golden prairies where no hearts rest,
The farmer works more than any man,
He works for God as he works the land,
Pray you never let them corrupt your soul,
And we’ll keep fighting the injustice of the dust bowl,
Our faith won’t die though they break our trust,
We carry on as our fields turn to dust.”


Now the door to classroom infront of me was left open after that class had their break I guess, and I can totally hear the lecture and see the hands of the professor waving around bahahaha.

I've been dreaming a lot of model UN, because once you do it so much it gets stuck in your head...all the procedural language, the draft resolutions, the delegates, etc. Some friends also have been dreaming of it and using the language in real life hahaha. It was such an awesome conference. I was directing the Social and Humanitarian Committee and our topics were rights of ethnic minorities and same-sex marriage (I did not choose these, though I wrote the background guide in December). There was a lot of good debate, but most of them were new to model UN, so I would pop in and out as different countries during debate to get things going or to spark some controversy. I pretended to be Uganda and completely ripped on homosexuals, which was fun though because it was so ridiculous. Also, my Israel and Iran were very good at ridiculing one another which made me so happy. Both of them sort of forced their way into the Security Council during crisis help with my help lol.

Crisis Night was pretty much from 1am until 5am...it was insane! Only the 3 special crisis committees took part, and I had volunteered to stay over at the hotel and help out that night (my committee was a General Assembly therefore not part of crisis night). I pretty much went back and forth taking on different tasks...I got to play a Chinese politician, I got to be Cleopatra and was murdered by Marc Antony, and I invented some fun crises for my own committee the next day since they wanted to discuss other topics. It was such a good time and I made a lot of new friends. As well, when we went into the meeting board rooms in the hotel to set up the committees, I noticed in the Security Council room a stand with big chart paper, and written on it were the Leafs lines....OMFG! I had heard the Penguins were staying at the hotel, but they were actually using this room before the game!! The Phoenix Suns had been there Thursday and some delegates ran into Steve Nash which was pretty cool. But I went total fangirl on the chart paper and took it down and stole it hahaha. The Pens are staying in town since they play the Leafs again tomorrow, so I hope they didn't need it lol.

Alright, so I still need to finish my Canadian political parties paper, and my Rousseau conceptual paper proposal...both of which are now late lol. And I have to work on my presentation on Rousseua's "Letters from the Mountain" for next week. I did finish my Environmental Debates paper and my short story on time though. But really, I don't regret doing my model UN confernce even though I got like no sleep and now I'm behind on my work. It was totally worth it and I hope I'll be able to do conferences again next year. OH I also won the Best New Member Award! Free Starbucks giftcard and something new to add to my resume woooo!

+ Lorelie

No comments:

Post a Comment