BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Plans Change and Paths Uncross

Hello blog, ready for another post? There are a few things on my mind I want to write about.

First, if you haven't heard already there was a shooting in Tuscon, Arizona outside a grocery store where local citizens were meeting Democratic Congresswoman Gabriell Giffords. Six people were killed, including a nine year old little girl attending the meeting since she was on her school's student government and was interested in politics (she's also the grandaughter of Dallas Green, the former manager of the Phillies when they won the World Series in 1980, of whom Dallas Green of Alexisonfire and City & Colour was named after - strange connection).

Anyway, there has been a lot of tension in the States especially since the Republicans took majority of the House of Representatives at the end of 2010, and the emergence and growing support of the Tea Party Movement. Now people are saying this shooting had to do with the political discourse and intense polarity of American politics. Especially when we have hard core conservatives such as Glenn Beck and Sarah Pailin. Addtionally, the whole "right to bare arms" in the USA probably made it easy for the psycho who shot these people to get a gun. One reason I'm glad to be Canadian - our gun registry. I'm also glad that in the Canadian political system people are only opponents, not enemies. The USA appears to be more messed up than ever.


I started classes this week, but I still have two old full year courses and three new ones. I'm excited for Ontario Environmental Politics, I think I can really do well in that class and I'll enjoy it. My seminar on Rousseau seems intense, epsecially since there are Masters and Ph. D. students in it, one of whom is my Canadian Political Parties TA! I bought a book on Rousseau's Social Contrat and other political writings, so I'll have to do some reading this weekend. I'm worried because political theory kids are intense know-it-alls and I know barely anything about Rousseau. But the prof seems really nice.

The class I had today was my Environmental Debates Seminar, but there are at least 27 kids in the class and it's not like the seminars Ray Charlers has. The profs are two I've had before and I like them, so that's good. We're doing debates, so I'll have to bring out my inner model UN delegate haha.

I have a two hour break on tuesdays with two of my really good university friends I met during frosh week, I'm really happy about that. And it's two weeks til I go to Montreal for my 1st model UN conference of the year! I just want to find out my position, I guess I will next week. Oh, and I finally bought my Audrey Hepburn poster because the poster people were back at my school this week! It's from the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's, and her crown and necklace are sparkly.



I have photos for one of my model UN conferecnes at the meeting friday and then grad photos next wednesday, oh boy! I need to look good. Leafs are also on a FOUR GAME WINNING STREAK! Yay!

+ Lorelie

No comments:

Post a Comment