BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 20, 2011

Black magic woman I believe in superstition

Day 45 – Have you any superstitions?

It’s the last day of our 45 day challenge! Wow that went by fast. Some of the questions were quite interesting and made me share things I’ve never shared, and some questions were also kind of silly or boring. Today’s question is if I have any superstitions. I have many. When I was a kid I used to have a lucky rabbits foot (I still don’t know if it was real or fake) I used as a key chain. I still throw salt over my shoulder if I spill it. I love cats so I don’t believe in the black cat crossing your path superstition, that’s just silly. I’ve walked under ladders and broken mirrors before too, but nothing bad has really happened.

For me, superstitions are more than these old irrational ideas, mainly because I have mild OCD. The definition states a superstition is a “credulous belief or notion not based on reason or knowledge.” People with OCD have many superstitions since their compulsive behaviours are sort of like acting out a superstition in a way. For example, if you spill salt you throw it over your shoulder to avoid bad luck. This is similar to doing a compulsive behaviour to avoid something bad happening. I do a lot of weird things like counting and tapping, and I guess these can be considered superstitions. You should see me during an important hockey game. I will sit in the same position even if it’s uncomfortable if my team is doing well lol.

I also looked superstition up on Wikipedia and found this: “The Roman Catholic Church considers superstition to be sinful in the sense that it denotes a lack of trust in the divine providence of God and, as such, is a violation of the first of the Ten Commandments. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states superstition in some sense represents a perverse excess of religion.” Well I’ve never been a very good Catholic then haha. But I doubt God actually cares about any of this stuff.

I got in a good hour of tanning today! I hope it rains soon so that friday will be nice, because that's when I'll be celebrating my birthday!!

+ Lorelie

No comments:

Post a Comment