BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, June 10, 2011

Erode me until we fit

Day 34 – Most current photo not taken on webcam (play around and dress up if you want!)

That question is lame, so Ray Charles and I decided to ask each other questions again. She asked me - If you had one month left to live, what would you do?

I remember on one of our highschool religion retreats we had a question like this. I said I would take all my friends and family to a Leafs game haha. I know I would definately try to meet all the hockey players I like, especially the Leafs. I would want to meet Dallas Green again and talk to him about songwriting and lyrics. I would love to travel to the places I've always wanted to go to - Japan, Finland, Italy, and across Canada. I would want to get all my songs and poems put together in a nice book, maybe get them published. Finally, I would want to spend as much time with family and friends as possible, do fun things like go to concerts and travel. I would also try to set up some sort of charity fund for a cause I care about, like helping the environment or kids who can't afford to go to university.

Ok, now I'm going to ramble about City&Colour! I looovvvveee Dallas' new album. It's one of those albums that you can't believe you've never heard before, it feels like I've been listening to it for years. The lyrics are so amazing and brilliant and honest and emotional. The sound is a bit different than his older stuff, but he's been changing slowly and progressing for years in a way that's never drastic. I love hearing his progession, especially how he makes new versions of old songs. He did a new version of "Sleeping Sickness" on his last album, and on Little Hell he did a new version of "Urgency" now called "Weightless." It's so fucking brilliant.

The song "Little Hell" (also the album name, so hopefully it will be a single) is probably one of my favourites. The lyrics have just intense meaning and you can really feel it in his voice. It's funny because a song I wrote over a year ago called "Erosion and Patience" is somewhat similar, specifically the first verse. It's about dwelling on the past and things that plague you and not being able to be in a relationship. This is the first verse from my song:

There are half empty glasses cluttering my mind
And harbours surrounding the heart you'll never find
Your tired ship is sailing through an ambivalent sea
But docking in my body is an unlikely probability
Because being safe means being alone
And we'll never be able to build a home

Now here's Dallas' song!

"Little Hell" by City&Colour

What if I can't be all that you need me to be
We've got a good thing going, we have some promises to keep
But my addiction it can be such a detriment
Please believe in this my dear, I am more than penitent

What if everything’s just the way that it will be
Could it be that I am meant to cause you all this grief
My war ships are lying off the coast of your delicate heart
And my aim is steady and true as it's been right from the start

There's a degree of difficulty in dealing with me
From my haunted past comes a daunting task of living through memories.
If we could just hang a mirror on the bedroom wall, stare into the past and forget it all

So when we leave it'll be a quick midnight escape
We'll disconnect ourselves from all of yesterday
I'll dig for water and fashion our very own wishing well
Then we'll throw our coins down hoping to rid of us of this little hell

There's a degree of difficulty in dealing with me
From my haunted past comes a daunting task of living through memories.
If we could just hang a mirror on the bedroom wall, stare into the past and forget it all

Will we get out of this little hell?


+ Lorelie

No comments:

Post a Comment